Winnebago Aspect/Cambria Class C RV Owners Forum Group

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Winnebago Aspect/Cambria Class C RV Owners Forum Group

Welcome to our campfire chat to discuss issues or concerns, ask questions of other owners and to make new friends and share experience, stories and more.

3 posters

Brakes

hank857
    hank857

Brakes Empty Brakes

Post by hank857 Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:26 pm

Ive looked but cannot locate a place discussing brakes and or shocks on the site, so will try here as cab and chassis wont let ya start a separate topic such as this.

But anyhow I am asking if anyone has R&Rd the brakes on front with better than oem stuff?  I have thought the brakes on the rv were marginal at best and the recent trip confirmed I want something better.  The brakes are like what was on my F350 and my sons F150 which to us were something of a concern.  When we 1st bought I tried to stop the rv from 55mph or so and still ended up in intersection, this trip was the same thing again.  We bought aftermarket brake rotors and padsfor the trucks and they are so much better, like I said I am curious if anyone else has changed them out and if so, to what?

As to shocks many say bilsteins or koni, but I have just read that the Monroe HD magnum gas shock works extremely well.  With all the winds we suffered thru I am going to change the shocks just wanted to see if anyone else has done so.  It will be a while till we travel again so now the changes begin.

Current projects are to change the Garmin rv 660 out as it has internal problems, I found a couplpe of battery operated LED clocks for the night time time checking when you dont want to turn lights on and a couple of other things. 

Waiting for the windshield repair tech to come now so just trying to see what others may have to say on brakes and shocks.

Hank
    rexpatton@comcast.net
    rexpatton@comcast.net

Brakes Empty Emergency Brake Alarm ??

Post by rexpatton@comcast.net Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:02 pm

On a trip this weekend, when we went to come home, about 10 minutes down road the Emergency Brake alarm started chirping.  Pulled over.  Checked levers, hubs,  all OK.
    Found switch and alarm under steering wheel.  Switch was working.  I could push the brakes just a little and it would go off as it was suppose to.  We came home with it chirping.  Goin to look at it tomorrow.
    Admin1
    Admin1
    Admin
    Admin

Brakes Empty Re: Brakes

Post by Admin1 Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:33 am

Hank, your good with the posts location thank you.

We have a 2015 we bought new (leftover) at the end of the year and we are pushing 40,000 miles on it and with Covid we did no camping/traveling/ at all last year.

Our breaks are really good and I have never had the Oh No feeling thank goodness.

So we need no breaks, or shocks at this time. Throughout all the nearly 50 years of RV'in I have heard nothing but good on the Bilstein shocks.

Good luck with your gps and windshield issues.

Admin1
    hank857
    hank857

Post by hank857 Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:38 pm

Cant help with the emerg brake issue as it has not occurred with us yet.  Could be just a bad contact in the switch dont know how much a new switch is but a junk yard might be a good place to look for a replacement to play around with.

Just thought that if you have auto levelers that there could be a problem with the jack sensors.  You know how they will sound if they are down.  Anyhow might want to check and see if one of the jack plugs have come loose, but not real sure since you said it goes away with the pedal pushed in a little?  My jack warnings stay on whenever they are down so just not sure, just a shot in the dark.

As to travel well we went to my sisters house back in sept for the labor day weekend so that was the last use of the rig.  We have around 25000 on it and I have never felt good with the OEM brakes.  Much like a school bus unless you do emergency type application they take a while to take effect.  Have ended up in an intersection on a REMOTE traffic light up in the phoenix are when it went red and without trying an emergency stop there we were!  Anyhow they are adequate IMO for slow and go but not real effective and higher speeds.  So I bought improved pads off the net from a company I bought brake set for my F350 (yes they made a difference) but they did not have the dimpled and grooved rotors as the front hubs are 1 piece construction. 

Anyhow my son needed brakes on his escalade and has a guy he uses and he will change out the brake pads and shocks for me for $400.  Laast shop wanted $700, so I will take it in to him when he calls that his lift is repaired.  Will post here how things go, he is supposed to work on it later this month or next.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:09 pm